Do you want your students to add a transcription to their videos? We’ve often had students do this in EAP 603 for a presentation project and have usually utilized iMovie for that process, but there is a new easier way to do it with YouTube’s tools.
Step 1: Students should record videos and upload them to their accounts on YouTube. I always recommend making videos/playslists/channels on YouTube unlisted.
Step 2: Create/Edit the subtitles. Youtube has their own instruction page for this process which may stay more up to date: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6373554
- Go to your Video Manager by clicking on your account on the top right > Creator Studio > Video Manager > Videos.
- Next to the video you want to add captions, click the drop-down menu next to the Edit button
- Select Subtitles/CC.
- Click Select language, select English and Set language.
- If automatic captions are available, you’ll see English (Automatic) in the “Published” section to the right of the video.
- Click on English (Automatic) to review/edit the automatic captions.
- Click the Edit button and then click inside any line in the caption track panel and edit the text.
- Click Save changes.